Sunday, February 17, 2008

500 FILMS!

My cool friend Marc claims to have seen 500 films last year. It helps that his life involves programming a film festival and other such wonderful sundry activities that encourage his obsessive movie watching. He knows the number is over 500 because he keeps a list of everything he's seen. And that's only counting the features he sees from start to finish, forget about the walk-outs or episodes of the Wire and Deadwood, et. al. So I'm inspired. I'm not gonna set my sights that high but I'll start a list and see how long it takes before I stop maintaining it. First I have to try to recap what I've seen this year so far. Here goes:

Woman on the Beach (new Hong Sang Soo film that has no explicit sex this time but still follows his theme that Korean men are self centered womanizing dogs).
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days incredibly intense Romanian film that puts true grit in naturalism and is the perfect representational paradigm.
Flash Point Donnie Yen vehicle that was a fun throwback to my days at Music Palace, Rosemary, Sun Sing, etc. Looked great on the Walter Reade Screen - it was part of this years genre friendly Film Comment Selects series.
Power of Kanwon Province An earlier Hong Sang Soo film. Saw it on DVD courtesy of my co-worker and fellow fan of Asian cinema Cindi.
Silence of Bach Interesting exercise. I liked the truck driver playing Bach on harmonica.
(Straw Dogs, I don't know if second viewings count but I hadn't seen this for over a decade).

Okay, that's 6 so far. I know there's more. Ah yes...

Sad Vacation Saw this at the Tadanobu Asano series at the Freer in D.C. Speaking of Freer, the curator Tom is great. Get his book.
Orochi an early silent chanbara from 1925, part of Japan Society's dawn of animation series (although it's live action and stars Tsumasaburo Bando).
Also at Japan Society:
Red Handkerchief Part of the great Nikkatsu series that Marc engineered. Star Yujiro Ishihara sings the title song which has nothing to do with the narrative as far as I can tell.
In David Meyer's rock movies class I saw:
Catch Us if you Can featuring the Dave Clark 5 (though they never really appeared together like a normal band).
Viva Las Vegas I must have seen this Elvis vehicle before but it was surprisingly revelatory this time. Elvis and Ann Margaret changed costumes every 5 minutes. Kind of like how Etsuko Shiomi is fighting every 5 minutes in the Sister Street Fighter films which I caught bits of on late night cable this week, widescreen and in Japanese with subs. Last time I saw them was when I was in high school and they were English dubbed VHS tapes.

No comments: